Please activate your cookies to switch the language.
Marshall Mcluhan Collection
A collection of film and audio items, unique in Germany, with and about the Canadian media theorist and his much-discussed theories
overview of the material
Apart from its permanent exhibition on Canadian culture, history, society and politics, the Marshall McLuhan Salon makes use of innovative Canadian technology to present numerous exclusive film and audio items with and about the Canadian media theorist Marshall McLuhan. In the spirit of McLuhan’s ideas, the visitor is invited to interact with the media and examine his theories.
The Marshall McLuhan exhibition was shown for the first time as part of Transmediale.07 and was subsequently integrated into the permanent exhibition of the Salon.
The special exhibition in the Marshall McLuhan Salon comprises the original versions of the video and audio items with and about Marshall McLuhan, as listed below, as well as CDs and books.
- The Video McLuhan 1-6 © 1996 McLuhan Productions
- Marshall McLuhan: The Man and His Message © 1984 McLuhan Productions
- Zulu Time © 1997 NFB
- Out of Orbit: The Life and Times of Marshall McLuhan © 1999 Raven West, CBC
- World is a global village (18. 5.1960 © CBC)
- McLuhan predicts ‘world connectivity’ (1.4.1965 © CBC)
- ‘Oracle of the Electric Age’ (8. 5.1966 © CBC)
- Do you like TV? (19. 3.1967 © CBC)
- McLuhan and Mailer go head to head (26.11.1967 © CBC)
- Left or Right Brain TV (12. 9.1977 © CBC)
- Gzowski interviews McLuhan (13.12.1977 © CBC)
- Understanding McLuhan, finally (14. 6.1995 © CBC)
- Le village global: mythe ou réalité? (23.2.1991 © Société Radio-Canada)
- Poor Grammar among 1940s youth (25. 11.1948 © CBC)
- A pop philosopher (22.6.1965 © CBC)
- McLuhan for the masses (12. 3.1967 © CBC)
- McLuhan reacts to his critics (16. 10.1967 © CBC)
- Set up by mom (17. 11.1980 © CBC)
- Growing up at the McLuhans’ (17. 11.1980 © CBC)
- It’s cool not to shave (17. 11.1980 © CBC)
- Homage to The Runner (6. 1.1981 © CBC)
- McLuhan’s predictions come true (8. 6.1992 © CBC)
- McLuhan: prophète des temps modernes? (30. 12.1967 © Société Radio-Canada)
- Le médium, c’est le message (30.12.1967 © Société Radio-Canada)
- La Galaxie Gutenberg (30.12.1967 © Société Radio-Canada)
- Médias chauds et médias froids (30.12.1967 © Société Radio-Canada)
- Espace, temps et village planétaire (29.11.1972 © Société Radio-Canada)
- Pour comprendre McLuhan (22.10.1993 © Société Radio-Canada)
- McLuhan’s Wake © 2002 Primitive Entertainment, NFB
- Understanding McLuhan © 1996 Southern Interactive, The Voyager Company
- The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man (1951). Gingko Press, 2002.
- The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man (1962). U of T Press, 2002.
- Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man. Critical Edition. Terrence Gordon (ed.). Gingko Press, 2003.
- (with Quentin Fiore) The Medium is the Massage (1967). Gingko Press, 2001.
- (with Quentin Fiore) War and Peace in the Global Village (1968). Gingko Press, 2001.
- (with Eric McLuhan) Laws of Media: The New Science (1988). U of T Press, 1999.
- (with Bruce R. Powers) The Global Village (1989). Oxford University Press, 1992.
- (with Stephanie McLuhan und David Staines) Understanding Me: Lectures and Interviews (2003). The MIT Press, 2005.
- Marchand, Philip und Neil Postman. Marshall McLuhan: The Medium and the Messenger
- McLuhan, Eric. Essential McLuhan (1995). Basic Books N.Y., 1996.
- Theall, Donald F. The Virtual McLuhan (2001). McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2006.
- Baltes, Martin u.a. (eds.) absolute Marshall McLuhan. orange-press GmbH, 2002.
- Marchessault, Janine. Marshall McLuhan: Cosmic Media. Sage Publications, 2005. (1989). The MIT Press, 1998.